Friday, April 24, 2009

Beat the Joomla!

This idea first came when we were discussing about the curriculum changes for our students. Previously, they received Web Design Study, which are Dreamweaver and PHP, which in my opinion PHP is too difficult to be learned by us, Graphic Designers. It was then, that the idea to learn Joomla appear.

As a person whom is fully aware that not all Graphic Designer could be a “Web Designer”, and visa versa, thus based on my 10% Web Design skill, I decided to try to learn Joomla!, alone….at home…

Then, I started to buy a book, and between my hectic schedules at work, I try to spare time to learn Joomla! Before I started, I will explain the basic skill that I count on to try to learn Joomla!

1.Photoshop : (well, i think above 80%)
2.CSS : (0%)
3.Dreamweaver : (20%)
4.Joomla : (0%).
5.PHP (0%)
6.Database / MySql (0%)

I try to re-design my website . Yes, although this type of portfolio website appear to be inappropriate for Joomla!, but the strong determination to conquer Joomla! dare me to go forward…

It turns out, to conquer Joomla!, we have to use our left-side brain, or our logic ability. The very basic concept consisted in the Section, Category and Article. The problems that I had to face then, was to get used to the menus. But if we spent time to try, sooner or later we will get used to the menus.

A more complicated problem occurs when my website is already complete and finished, and about to be uploaded to hosting. There were several parameters in the Configuration.php that has to be changed and several adjustments to the MySql database. After several days trying, with no result, thus screwing the website appearance, I finally decided to made it from the start again, but via online.

So I concluded that :
1. Photoshop, must to mastered. How can we develop picture well, without mastering photoshop?
2. Not necessary to know CSS, but supported with CSS, we can make our own template. (not like me, I only change the template provided)
3. Don’t need to master PHP nor MySql database.
4. Use a good internet connection, especially when we always work on online mode.

I am still a beginner in Joomla!, gonna find a lot of troubles and mistakes, for sure. But by practicing, a lot, I am convince, in time, I will be more better.

Don't worry if you make mistake, how else you can learn?

No comments: